Garden City is a quiet village in New York, with a population of 23,272 in 2020. The village is famous for the Garden City Hotel, built in 1874.
If someone’s negligence injured you in Garden City, you can hold them accountable for your losses. The duty of a personal injury lawyer is to act as a representative of the client to negotiate fair compensation for losses suffered. Garden City personal injury attorneys are experts in assessing damages affecting their clients and protecting their rights.
How Can a Lawyer Help You?
The following are the ways in which a personal injury lawyer can help you in your claim process:
Recovering Damages in a Personal Injury Case
You can receive compensation for the losses and expenses you incurred due to your injuries. There are two categories of damages:
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future lost income
- Property damage
- Loss of property
These damages have a direct monetary value.
- Past and future mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Permanent physical impairment
These damages do not have a direct monetary value.
After assessing your case, your personal injury lawyer will add up all economic and non-economic losses. They will assess the damages based on the following factors:
- The cause of the accident
- The severity of your injuries
- How your current and future employment has been impacted
- The actions of the party at fault
- If death was involved
- The pain and emotional trauma you have endured
From the factors above, your lawyer will help you develop an appropriate value for your compensation.
In a personal injury case, the victim is often responsible for proving negligence. However, your work will be easier with an excellent personal injury lawyer. Your lawyer will help you collect evidence that will strengthen your case.
The type of evidence needed in a personal injury case includes:
- Police report for road accidents, assaults, or any other incident
- Medical evaluation records and statements
- Photographs of the accident scene and injuries
- Income and employment records that prove loss of wages
- Testimonies from eyewitnesses
This evidence can be used in your case to prove negligence and liability.
Taking Your Case to Trial or Negotiating
Your attorney can recover damages for your injuries in two ways. They can negotiate a settlement or take your case to trial. Your attorney will follow the legal option that gives you the best chance of a financial recovery. After investigating your case, they can guide you on the best way forward.
Types of Injury Cases Lawyers Can Help You Navigate
A personal injury attorney can help you take legal measures in most personal injury cases. Some of the issues they can handle include:
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Bicycle crashes
- Medical malpractice
- Slips and falls
- Wrongful death
- Dog bites
- Construction accidents
- Defective products
All these injuries are eligible for compensation.
Steps to Take to Protect the Value of Your Case
Here are some steps you can take to put yourself in a better position to receive compensation:
- Follow your doctor’s orders relating to your injuries
- Do not post details concerning your injuries on social media
- Act on time to meet the statute of limitations deadline injury claims
- Include past, current, and future damages
- Do not accept the first offer without a review
You have up to three years to file a lawsuit and hold a faulty party responsible for injuries. However, there may be exceptions to these regulations. Since deadlines can approach quickly, you should talk to your lawyer as soon as possible.
If you or a loved one got involved in an accident and want to seek justice for your losses, contact a personal injury attorney. They will help you get the justice you deserve.