Maryland Terrapins Lose To Michigan Wolverines 31-24


Playing again without suspended coach Jim Harbaugh, No. 2 Michigan defeated Maryland 31–24 on Saturday to become the first college football program to win 1,000 games. Blake Corum scored twice in the first half, and Mike Sainristil intercepted two passes.

It wasn’t easy, but the Wolverines (11-0, 8-0 Big Ten) managed to stay unbeaten in their last practice before facing No. 3 Ohio State the following weekend. After falling behind 23-3 in the second quarter, Maryland (6-5, 3-5) mounted a comeback and had multiple opportunities to go down five in the fourth quarter.

With 4:10 remaining, Tommy Doman’s punt stopped the Terrapins at their own 1-yard line, creating the final opportunity.

Taulia Tagovailoa threw incomplete in the end zone under pressure, with the ball landing well short of Tai Felton, the receiver. After deliberating, officials declared intentional grounding for a safety, making the score 31–24 and awarding the ball to the Wolverines.

Following a measurement and review, Corum converted a fourth-and-short run, allowing Michigan to finally breathe.

The Wolverines prevailed without Harbaugh on the sidelines for the fifth time this season and for the second straight week. The head coach was in the second game of his suspension due to the sign-stealing scheme, which over the past few weeks has brought even more attention to the Michigan program.

Sherrone Moore, the offensive coordinator, has led the Wolverines to wins over Penn State and Maryland (6-5, 3-5) in the last two weeks. He will take over for Jim Harbaugh as head coach the following weekend.

In addition, Harbaugh completed a three-game suspension imposed by the school at the beginning of the season due to an NCAA recruiting violations case.

Maryland gave up two safeties and a defensive touchdown to Michigan, but the Wolverines gave up more points than they had all season. When necessary, Michigan’s defense did tense up. In the fourth quarter, Kenneth Grant’s sack put the Terps in a third-and-18, setting up Sainristil for his second interception of the game.

In addition to being a tense victory, the Wolverines now have some health issues ahead of their big game next week. Leading receiver Roman Wilson left the game following a startling hit from Maryland defensive back Dante Trader in the first quarter.

Myles Hinton, an offensive lineman, was hurt in the second half but was able to get up with some help.

Mason Graham’s call for roughing the passer early in the third quarter caused some concern for the Wolverines as well. Graham would have missed the first half of the Ohio State game if the play had been flagged for targeting, but officials ultimately decided he wasn’t guilty of it.

Following the match, the Wolverines took a group photo holding signs honoring their 1,000th victory. In 1879, Michigan won its first football game against Racine.

The second quarter saw Michigan ahead 23–3, but Maryland responded with touchdowns on both sides of the half. Billy Edwards Jr., the backup quarterback who is occasionally used in short-yardage situations, scored twice on fourth-down sneaks.

In the interim, Jaishawn Barham intercepted J.J. McCarthy at the goal line late in the first half, putting the Wolverines inside the Maryland 10 yard line.

After Sainristil’s interception close to midfield, Semaj Morgan scored on a 13-yard run, giving Michigan a 29-17 lead. However, Edwards’ subsequent touchdown run at the end of the third quarter cut the lead to five points.

The last minutes of the first quarter seemed to see Michigan take charge. 19 seconds after Derrick Moore recovered a fumble 4 yards for a touchdown, Corum scored on a 2-yard run. With 32 seconds remaining in the half, Christian Borvin stopped a punt for a safety, making the score 16-3.

With his 1-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, Corum tied a Michigan record with his 20th rushing touchdown of the year.